Tuesday, June 18, 2013

H.I.V. Tests Urged for 800 Million in India

Despite India’s enormous population, it would be cost-effective to fight its growing AIDS epidemic by testing all 800 million sexually active adults in the country every five years and treating all those infected, a new statistical study has concluded.
The study, published online in May by PLoS One, notes that testing there costs only $3.33, and that first-line antiretroviral therapy is about $100 a year. The World Health Organization measure for a medical intervention’s cost-effectiveness is whether it saves one year of life for less than three times the per capita gross domestic product. In India’s case, that is $3,900 per year-of-life saved.

Testing as often as every year would be cost-effective in high-risk groups like drug injectors, gay and bisexual men, female prostitutes, migrants and visitors to S.T.D. clinics, the study found. Treatment makes people with H.I.V. less infectious, so early treatment would prevent the virus’s spread to others.
With an organized medical system, cheap drugs and relatively low-paid doctors, India is probably one of the most cost-effective places for fighting AIDS, said the study’s lead author, Dr. Kartik K. Venkatesh of the Alpert Medical School at Brown University. African countries import cheap Indian drugs, but their medical systems often must be propped up by foreign donors and doctors.
Only 0.3 percent of Indian adults have H.I.V., but because the population is so large, it has the world’s third-largest epidemic, after South Africa and Nigeria.
In 2005, Dr. Venkatesh noted, a similar analysis of the American epidemic published in The New England Journal of Medicine concluded that screening much of the American population every three to five years would be cost-effective. But the United States has never come close to that goal, and new infections have held steady at 50,000 per year.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, nice post. Thanks for sharing.
    Good luck
    London Curriculum School

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr.Emmanuel for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr.Emmanuel , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr.Emmanuel cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2348140033827) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr.Emmanuel for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr.Emmanuel , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr.Emmanuel cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2348140033827) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee.

    Hello everyone, I want to say a special thanks to Dr OGU. for helping me get cured from herpes virus 2019 , I contacted him base on the testimonies I saw about him on the internet I was diagnosed of HERPES Virus i have tried all I can to get cured but all to know avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try I was cured by his herbal medicine and natural herbs, kindly contact him today through his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call: +1 (719) 629 0982

    He’s waiting to help you.


    HE ALSO SPECIALIZE IN THE FOLLOWING DISEASES;

    If you have any sickness like : H I V/AIDS , CANCER , HERPES HSV 1 or 2 , GENITAL WARTS, Yeast-infection's (HPV), and Hepatitis A, B. liver diseases , Diabetes, 1 or 2. , fibroids, Chlamydia, Genital herpes, Alzheimer’s, Trichomoniasis , Tuberculosis, CAD, Gonorrhea, Epilepsy, and Syphilis.

    ReplyDelete